Thursday, June 17, 2010

Logic Error

Loose generalizations
Drawing conclusions about groups of people on the basis of stereotypes.
Example: French people are more romantic.
Hasty generalizations
Arriving at a conclusion without enough evidence.
Example: Asian-American students are better in math.
Circular Reasoning
Restating in different words what has already been stated.
Example: Dieting is hard because it requires consuming fewer calories.
Single cause-effect
Claiming that only one event caused another when there may be no real connection.
Example: When I sat down at the computer it stopped working, so I must have done something
wrong.
Slippery Slope
Assumes a chain of cause-effect relationships with very suspect connections.
Example: Because I failed my exam, my parents were mad, I lost my wallet, my car wouldn't start,
and I got fired.
Non Sequitur
The first part of the idea does not relate to the other.
Example: I did well in school because I always wore nice clothes.
Either/Or
Suggesting only two alternatives when the issue may be much more complex.
Example: America--love it or leave it!
False Authority
Draws attention away from the evidence and leans on the popularity of someone who may have
little knowledge of the issue or product.
Example: Kathie Lee Gifford, a popular TV celebrity, says that cruises are wonderful, so they
must be.
Ad Hominem
Attacking the person instead of the ideas.
Example: Don't vote for Jerry Brown; he's a left-wing fanatic, a throwback to the 60s who
meditates and eats health foods.
Bandwagon Thinking
Claiming that most people agree so it must be right.
Example: I wouldn't have cheated on my income taxes, but everyone else does, so why shouldn't I?
Stacking the deck
Giving a slanted view of the issue by focusing only on one side.
Example: I deserve to get an A in the class because I like the teacher, work hard, and attend class.
Appeal to Emotion
Exploiting the audience's feeling in order to get them on your side.
Example: I believe I deserve a scholarship because I am an orphan who grew up in a dysfunctional
foster family.
Ignoring the question
Changing the topic before it is really considered
Example: The criminal won't say where he was on the night of the crime, but he does remember
being teased relentlessly as a child.
Trivial objections
Can be similar to ad hominem in that it focuses on things unimportant to the issue at hand.
Example: I think Ross Perot would make a terrible president. His ears are huge.

No comments:

Post a Comment